The town of Bechet has an area of 2926 ha and a population of 4349 and is located in the southern part of Dolj County, at a distance of about 67 km away from Craiova, 45 km away from Corabia and 95 km from Calafat. In Bechet is the second Danube port in Dolj which connects with Bulgaria. Specific activities of the area are melon cultivation, agriculture and fishing.
Phone number: 0251-336826
Email: [email protected]
The town of Bechet is remembered by Bela VI in 1274, by Vlaicu I in 1364 among fishermen. During Mircea the Elder began exporting salt from Ocnele Mari, through Râmnicul Vâlcea, Caracal, Damian and Bechet. Before 1444 when Iancu de Hunedoara stationed with the military troops, until 2004 when it was declared for the 4th time a town and until now, Bechet attests that it is located on a territory where populations have succeeded since the Neolithic.
Bechet Town Hall is located at the intersection of DN54A, DN55 and DN55A on Str. Alexandru Ioan Cuza, No. 100, Dolj County.
Points of interest:
– Mitre Arambaşa Museum,located in the park of Bechet, is a tribute to the memory of the essayist and writer, the man passionate about archaeology and research Mitre Arambaşa, who lived in Bechetul Doljului, between 1924-2004, active participant in the cultural and spiritual life of the locality, of the county and of the country, a man who devoted himself body and soul to both the profession he had and the literary creation.
- Bechet Port is one of the two Romanian river ports in Dolj County. It is located in the town of Bechet, on the left bank of the Danube, at kilometre 679. Port makes ferry crossing between Bechet and Bulgarian city of Rahova.
– The Old Town Hall was built in 1894, being the first own premises of Bechet Town Hall
– High-voltage pole,built in 1966 with the aim of transporting electricity to Bulgaria, is the highest pole in the country with a height of 174 m, currently being decommissioned.
- Aradan Pond is a marshy land with 5 deep springs located on the right side of DN 55 towards Port.
– The Church “St. George” was built between 1861 and1871, on the site of the former wooden church bearing the name “St. Troiţa” and dated from 1808. The church made of brick was sanctified with the “St. George” patron saint name. The church “St. George” in Bechet was built at the urging of Father Egumen Paisie, from Roaba Monastery (a monastery located in Dolj, between the townships of Căciulăteşti and Dobrești) and was completed with the support of the merchants Ion Ivanovici, Gheorghe Ghiorghovici and the mayor from that time Păun Dinulescu. The place of worship was built on the site of a wooden church, which was called St. Troiţa (raised in 1808 by Clucerul Şerban - the locals called it “At Monastery”). The church is 32 m long and 12 m wide and is built in Byzantine style in the form of a cross, with oil painting. The name of the “artisans” Florea Şarpe and Staicu Croitoru and the “painters” Dumitru Bătrânu and Florea Chiciu appear on the works estimate. Inside the church has long been preserved the painting of the heroes of 1877, who took the cross of St. George, for the crossing of the Danube.
- Ruins of the Chapel dating from 1895 being built by the priest Ilie Dumitrescu and the teacher Ion Ulmeanu, on the stone foundation of the old wooden church; built by the monks of Roaba in 1833.
- International Folklore Festival “Dunărind cu Dunarea” on 15th of August
- The week fair