Goicea township, with an area of 5884 ha and a population of 2689, is located in the south-western part of Romania. It is crossed by Desnăţui River and is part of the Romanian Plain, more specifically the Băileşti Plain or the Desnăţui Plain. The township is located in the south of Dolj County, about 8 kilometres from the Danube and 60 kilometres away from Craiova. The township consists of three villages: Goicea Mică, Goicea Mare and Popoviceni, which united in 1968 to form the actual township.
Phone number: 0251-256003
e-mail: [email protected]
Goicea Township was a village of bondsmen (thralls) who got lad by Cuza-Vodă’s Agrarian Reform of 1864. The village of Goicea was documented on 4th of April 1575 - 1577, in a letter from Alexandru Voivode, to the boyar Barbu Postelnic, who drew attention to the point that he had fished in the ponds that were part of the estate of Tismana Monastery. According to legend, around 1400, an oilman, who came down with his sheep from the mountains of Transylvania, had three daughters, who were called: Ciuta, Goicea and Dulceana. He would have left as inheritance to them the place where the village is today, and the daughters established the village that was named Goicea after the most beautiful of the three sisters.
Goicea Town Hall is located on DJ561, on Str. Principală, No. 204, Goicea Township, Dolj County
Points of interest:
– The park of the township was put into use and opened in 1962 with the zoo, the summer theatre and the central stadium. At first, bears, wolves, deer, foxes, ferrets, rabbits, and other animal species were exposed in the zoo. The park was one of the most beautiful [value judgments] in the region, but with the fall of the communist regime, the golden times of the park were over. It is said [evasive formulation] that one day, one of the park’s caretakers forgot to close the door of the enclosure where the bears were locked, and they escaped. At that time, the local council decided to close the zoo, and all the animals were donated to the zoo in Craiova. Summer theatre isn’t what it used to be, either, because after the revolution it was vandalized, today it’s just a ruin of what it was.
- The Church of the “Life-giving Spring” is the largest and oldest church in Goicea, being considered a miracle-making church, where many people have been cured of incurable diseases. It is unique in Romania and, although it is the oldest in the township, it is in the best condition. That’s why 10.000 to 20.000 visitors from other counties or even other countries come here every year. The church was built in the 1800s. Originally it was made of wood, then, in 1862, it was rebuilt from brick. At the beginning of the 20th century, it became unwieldy for parishioners and was demolished to build another, larger church. The work lasted three years (1912-1915). After completion, the paintings were made by the famous painter Corneliu Baba.
- The Church “Paraskeva of the Balkans” was built in 1848, originally made of wood, and in 1956 it was rebuilt from brick. It is built close to the centre of the township, in Goicea Mare. It is a building of modest size, built only with the help of the goodwill of the faithful.
– Marin Chisărwas born on 17th of February 1912 in Goicea Mare township, Dolj, County. Coming from a peasant family, he played various wooden wind instruments (whistle, kaval and bagpipes), as well as vocal. Like his father, he was a bagpipe builder.
– Ion Prioteasa was born on 21st of August 1950 in Goicea and is President of the Dolj County Council from 2004 to the present day.
– Ștefan Ștefănescu was born on 24th of May 1929 in Goicea Mică, Dolj County and was a Romanian historian and member in 1992 of the Romanian Academy.
– The days of Goicea Township - The days of Goicea Township are held every year on 20th - 21st May