Comuna Măceșu de Sus

Overview:

The township of Măceșu de Sus was formed and developed in the southeast of the Plain of Desnăţui, at a distance of about 51 km from the municipality of Craiova. Strictly from the point of view of the settlement, the township is located in the south of the country, close to the Danube, about 15 km. The township consists only of the village of residence of the same name and has a population of 1,348 inhabitants. The township of Măceșul de Sus is linked to the municipality of Craiova, by the communal road DC 3 Măceșu de Sus-Goicea and then the county road DJ 561 Goicea-Segarcea-Craiova. The connection with the Măceșu de Jos is also made on another section of DC 3 communal road, recently paved, and with Gângiova on DC 49 communal road, which is cobbled.

Brief history:

Măceșu de Sus dates back to 28th of October 1568, confirmed by a royal charter of Alexandru Mircea Voivode, confirming to the ban Radu Craiovescu the ownership of several villages, together with their ponds, including Măceşelul which was the former name of the township. In 1633 it became a monastery village, because at that time, Matei Basarab, built Arnota Monastery in Vâlcea County, which, as it says in the deed of foundation, was located in a place difficult enough to find food for his inhabitants and, having no income from his estates near the “Măceșu de Dunăre”, namely “Cârna”, is forced to endow it with other such properties. On this estate were working the inhabitants of the village of Măceşel, which was now divided into two parts: the Eastern, which would become in the first half of the 19th century the estate Brâncovenească, and the Western, whose inhabitants worked on the Arnota estate. For the modern period, we note as significant the establishment of the township of Măceșu de Sus by the administrative law of 31st of March 1864.

Identification data:

The town hall of Măceșu de Sus is located on DJ561H on Str. Principală, number 169, the township of Măceșu de Sus, Dolj County.

Contact details:

Phone number: 0251-354 225

E-mail: [email protected]

http://www.comunamacesudesus.ro

Points of interest:

- The Church of St. Nicholas was built in 1825 by Neagoe the Shepherd, the founder of this church, dedicated to the memory of his son and his family. It is said that this shepherd came from the region of Cărbunești, Gorj County. He was wealthy, for, according to tradition, he would have possessed over 1,000 sheep. His family consisted of a wife and one child, whom, in 1810, a cruel disease takes him away forever from the bosom of his loved ones. Neagoe the Shepherd, crushed by pain, resigned, realizing the nothingness of earthly wealth and the emptiness of life, decides to let go of all that is earthly, of all agony, and to devote all his life and all the wealth to build a church. The church is built in the form of a ship, but without a spire. The masons probably didn’t know the technique of building a spire or that the price of the construction would have exceeded the possibilities of the people and they were content to build it without the spire.

- The monument of heroes was made in honour of those who fell on duty in the First and Second World Wars.

- The new church in the Măceșu de Sus was founded on 17th of May 1914, by the All-holy Bishop Sofronie Vulpescu of the Râmnicul - Noul Severin. The church is built of a brick wall in the shape of a cross and is provided with three spires: two at the front and one at the back, above the Nave, covered with tin and, around, provided with cement pavement, partly damaged.

The painting of the church was executed by the painter Romano in oil and modelled after the paintings of Tătărăscu. In 1928 the painting was also restored in oil, by the painter Jean Lișteveanu, and still remains in good condition today, in places presenting a layer of smoke. The iconostasis is made of the wall, provided with the cross of crucifixion, and the royal icons are detachable. Inside the Church there are chandeliers, one of which came from the old church, with 12 lights, and have the donor inscription. The larger one dates back to the sanctification of the Church, 1914, and features 18 lights.

 Other information:

Personalities:

Local events:

en_US