Călărași Township

Overview:

Călărași Township is located in the south-eastern part of Dolj County, on the administrative limit with Bulgaria. Călărași township, a border town, is located on the left bank of the Danube River, in the Romanaţi Plain, in a plain area covered with sand dunes, and the administrative territory of Călărași township is crossed by the national road DN 54A (Călărași - Corabia). The township consists of 2 villages: Călărași – the township residence village and Sărata. The territorial administrative unit has an area of 8774 ha, and a population of 5921. In Călărași was founded SCCCPN (Central Research Station for Plant Culture on Sands).

Contact details:

WEB: http://primariacalarasi-dj.ro

Phone number: 0251 379 052

Brief history:

Human settlements in the current administrative territory of Călărași township are attested by documents and maps such as royal charters, donation and sales documents. Călărași Township was first established by the Administrative Law of 1864, and over time had in its composition the following villages: Călărași, Ascunsa (1864-1873), Călărași (1873-1912), Călărași, Sărata (1912-to present).

Identification data:

Călărași Town Hall is located on DN 54A on Petre Baniță Street Nr. 148 Dolj County

Points of interest:

The Church, St. Nicholas, and the „Assumption of Mary” in Călărași has more than 100 years old, being built in brick by Hagi Enuși in 1820-1833.

- The drinking fountain dedicated to Maria Tănase was built in 1996, being one of Maria Tănase’s last wishes: “If it is possible and will not be difficult, I would like that on a dry and eager for water road to make a fountain” “Dacă se va putea şi nu va fi greu, aş vrea ca pe un drum secetos şi dornic de apă să se facă o fântână”

- White drinking fountain was built in 1831 by the priest Stan Călărăşanu, from the former draw-well (the Fountain of the Greek), which became the “treasury” of the drinking fountain (its water basin). From this year a stone that is written in Cyrillic letters: “Made by Popa Stan Călărăşanu in 1831 for the sanctification of the fruit of the vineyards” is kept here. Every 1st of February (after the old calendar), on St. Trifon, the inhabitants of Călărași gather at the drinking fountain with wine flasks and food and party for the fruition of the vineyards. The traditional celebration was preserved until after the First World War (1938).

- The 32 springs are located in the area called “Ascunsa”. At its base is the Fountain with 32 outfalls, being one of the most powerful springs in the Oltenia Plain. This spring was used to irrigate the gardens and to set in motion the wheels of the water mills. Here, at Ascunsa there are two large water reservoirs that irrigated the fruit trees of the Bechet-Călărași Experimental Resort, currently S.C.D.C.P.N.

Other information:

Personalities:

Gil Dobrică was born 14th of February 1946 in Călărași. He was a Romanian pop-rock, soul and rhythm and blues vocalist.

Local events:

- The Day of Călărași Township is held on 21st of May, the Day of the Holy Emperors Constantine and Elena.

Images Gallery:

en_US