The township has an area of 6072 ha and is composed of the villages of Urzicuţa as the residence and Urzica Mare. With a population of 3,128, the township of Urzicuţa is located in the central-southern part of Dolj County, with the townships of Giurgița to the north and east, Bârca to the east, Bistreţ to the south, Afumaţi to the south and west, Siliștea Crucii to the west, located 55 km away from the township of Craiova, 18 km away from the township of Băileşti and 20 km away from the city of Segarcea.
Phone number: 0251-317 619
E-mail: [email protected]
Brief history of the town
The village of Urzica-Mare, the oldest village in the township is shown by a charter found in the archive of the Romanian Academy, dated 26th of June 1669, through which Antonie-Vodă informs the villagers of Urzica – Mare and Cerăt that treasurer at the Divan is the boyar Vintilă II, and Vintilă’s brother has reported that the villagers of Urzica and Cerăt were their peasants from the estate, gave as dowry to their aunt Maria, from whom Mateiaş-Vodă remained, adopted by Matei Basarab.
Other evidence of human presence is attested by several Roman coins discovered in a tomb. The first dwellings (huts) were established in the village of Urzica-Mare, on the property of the Holy bishopric of Râmnic. In the map of Captain Friederich Schwartz in 1718 appears the title Urzicuţa Verde. After the plague of 1785, some of the survivors established a settlement near the Baboia creek on the edge of the famous Brobinţari forest (now disbanded), a resident named Ionel built several huts south of the oak forest of the village of Bârca in the place called “Crângul cu Ulmi”. The last component village of the present settlement was established in 1924 by a man named Orman, in the western area of the town, the area called “Deal”.
The town hall of Urzicuţa is located on Dj 561A on Str. Calea Craiovei, number 40, Urzicuţa Township, Dolj County.
Points of interest:
- The Village Museum is located in the civic centre built between 1921 and 1924, being the first public destination building in the village.
- Lake Ionele is located in the southern part of Urzicuţa.
Its waters have gradually mineralized, acquiring therapeutic properties in the treatment of rheumatic diseases. Also known as the Salt Lake, Lake Ionele covers an area of 3.5 hectares. Due to the therapeutic effects it possesses, it has been (until recently) arranged as resort for the treatment of rheumatic diseases.
- The church “St. George” was built by Serdar Hristodor and Dumitrache Filip the inhabitants of Urzicuţa being the first wooden church that has since the name of St. George’s church.
- The church “St. Nicholas"” was built in 1853 and was after restored in 1943
Victorina Bora was born on 15th of January 1972 in the township of Urzicuţa and became a handball player. She participated in the women’s tournament at the 2000 Summer Olympics.
The “Wheat garland” Festival is held on the first Saturday in September.