Cârna Township is located in the southern part of Dolj County, 35 km away from the town of Băileşti and 60 km away from the municipality of Craiova, along DN 55A and DJ 561. The township has an area of 2923 and a population of 1600. Specific activities are agriculture, zootechnics, fishing and hunting.
Phone number: 0251-256824
The village is documented from 1570 to 1571 by a charter given by Alexandru Mircea Voivode through which it strengthens the ownership of the great Lord Steward Ştefan over the village of Cârna. Cârna as a locality is also mentioned in the map of Stolnic Constantin Cantacuzino from 1700, in the map of Schwatz from 1723, in the Viromondial conscription, the memoirs of General Bauer in 1778, in the map of Specht in 1790, and in the Russian map in 1853. An urn incineration necropolis was discovered in the Bronze Age, where the monuments contained an urn recipient accompanied by adjacent recipients covered by a structure that served as a lid.
The Town Hall of Cârna is located on DJ 561, Str. Calea Craiovei, no. 58, Dolj County.
Points of interest:
- The Church „Holy Archangels Michael and Gabriel” is located on Str. A.I. Cuza No. 1, in the township of Cârna and was built in 1898 on the site of an old wooden church. The present place, built in the form of a cross, with Byzantine-style painting, is dedicated to the Archangels Michael and Gabriel.
- Lake Nasta and Lake Cârna are located in the southern part of Cârna township about 2 km from the Danube and are part of the Bistreţ-Cârna-Nedeia lagoon complex being wetlands that naturally had about 22,000 hectares as attested by the book Danube Flood Region, written by Dr. Grigore Antipa published at Carol Göbl Institute of Graphic Arts in 1910 .
- The oak “from the Danube” is a tall tree with strong, gnarled branches, wide and rich crown grown on the river bank next to Cârna Township. The bark of the oak tree is brownish-blackish, rough, deeply furrowed, which makes us think it is secular.
– Antonie Solomon born on 18th of November 1955 in the township of Cârna was mayor of the municipality of Craiova and senator of Dolj.
– Gheorghe Berceanu former Olympic free wrestling champion was born on 28th of December 1949 in the township of Cârna. He won the world title in 1969 and 1972, the European title in 1970, 1972 and 1973, and a gold medal at the 1972 Olympic Games, taking second place in 1976. Berceanu spent most of his career at Steaua Bucureşti, and later worked there as a coach.
– Cârna township Day is held on 15th of August
– The Church „Holy Archangels Michael and Gabriel” titular saint is officiated on 7th of November