The township of Negoi has an area of 5038 ha and a population of 2350 being located in the south of Dolj County, in the Danube meadow. The nearest urban settlement, Băileşti, is 21 km away.
Phone number: 0251-325088 0251-325088
E-mail: [email protected]
The village “Negoiu” was used to be called “Urâţi”, because, allegedly, most of the inhabitants were tall and “ugly”. You can still see today the traces of the ugly’s huts, 4 km south of the present village of Negoiu. The village and estate were bought in times by Radu Voivode Călugăru from the townswoman Marga of Caracal ...., who gave it in 1539 to patron Radu Vistieru, for righteous and faithful services in the battle of the Gypsy Fountain, with Laiota Vodă Basarab. The estate passed, by inheritance, to the great logothete Ivașcu and the great lord Albu ... after all, obliged by the floods and the depredations of the Turks, the inhabitants moved to the place where the village of Negoiul is today. They gathered around a hut and a hillock, on which a cattleman named Neagoe, had sat. Residents of the area, especially those on the hill of Cobârnac, have grouped, more and more, around Neagoe’s hut and formed the village of Negoiu. The village and the estate always pass, from hand to hand, reaching the possession of Alexandru Dumitru Ghica in 1841, Prince Milos Obrenovici III in 1847, the Prince of Ştirbei after 1900, and hence, also by purchase, in the possession of I. D. Gabroveanu.
The name of the town is believed to have come from Mr Neagoe Basarab. In ancient times, the territory on which the township is located belonged to Brăiloiu family, and was passed as dowry to a prince, Austrian graph, by his marriage to a daughter of Neagoe Basarab. Then it became the legacy of Brăiloiu Cornițoiu and finally, sold to Păciurea, during the time of Alexandru Şuțu.
Negoi is an old locality. In the past it was called “Urâţi”. The exact date of the first documentary mention is not known.
Negoi Town Hall is located on DN 55A Bechet – Calafat, on Str. Gabroveanu no.159, Dolj County.
Points of interest:
- The Gabroveanu Manor was built by Ioan Dasu Gabroveanu in the village of Negoi, after he bought the estate from Prince Ştirbey in the early 1900s.
- St. Nicholas Church. In 1911 started the construction of the brick church, and was completed in 1913. The church was built largely on the site of Hagi Enuși Costa Petru former foundation. A decisive support was given by Ioan Dasu Gabroveanu, bearing the expenses for the Byzantine-style painting executed by Gh. Baba. The church was built under the patronage of St. Hierarch Nicholas, according to the plans and under the supervision of the Italian architect Adotti.
- Weekly Fair