Afumaţi is located in the south of Dolj County 20 km away from the Danube in the plain, and 60 km away from Craiova.
The township of Afumaţi, with an area of 6970 ha and a population of 2689, consists of the villages of Afumaţi, Boureni and Covei. Afumaţi is bordered by: Urzicuţa – to the East, Catane- to the South, Băileşti to the West, Siliștea Crucii - to the North. The municipality of Afumaţi is crossed by two streams: Baboia and Bălăşan.
Phone number: 0251-318001
Brief history of the township;
The first documentary attestations concerning the township of Afumaţi would be from 1618, the township was established in 1864 and was disbanded between 1930-1932, and from 1941 to 1943 it was called Amzulești, after the first shepherd who established the first settlement here. Is not clear where it comes from the toponymical origin of the township of Afumaţi. The elders say the name of the township would come from one of the occupations of the villagers of the past. From them we learned that in ancient times the people of the place made in the summer coals and in the winter they transported them and sold them in various other parts. Thus the name of the township would come from the smoke that covered the forests and the huts in the summer, becoming in time a symbol, as in other cases, of the poverty and darkness in which the locals lived. Another option would be that by 1864, after the workers were declared in possession as owners of workgrounds and building plots they began slowly, slowly that with the small savings they made to establish stable housing. Because they were all poor, they built dwellings in the ground called huts. They were low, devoid of light, with sheepskin on the windows. In the evening the lighting was done by burning fat like lard or tallow put in a bowl with a hemp snuff called shard or rush-candle, and heating was done by stoves made of earth or fires made in hearth, the chimneys where the smoke came out being badly constructed, and in many huts almost not existing, most of the smoke remaining in the hut. On the occasion of the parcelling of the lands, in 1864 and by the finalization of the house hearts by the delegated engineer and the gendarme, because of the bad living they saw at the inhabitants they remained really impressed, because of which they called the inhabitants smoked, giving them the name of the township of Afumaţi.
The Town Hall of Afumaţi is located on DJ 561A, Craiova-Segarcea-Băileşti on Str. Principală, No. 37-39, Afumaţi Township, Dolj County.
Points of interest:
- The Station of Afumaţi is distinguished by the “style” of the engineer Elie Radu being built between 1890-1895.
- The Church of the “Life-giving Spring”of Afumaţi was built between 1861 and 1863 and then rebuilt and sanctified in 1941.
- Manor Seulescu was built in 1908 and belonged to General Iancu Seulescu and today it functions as a medical practice office.
- Manor Dinopol was built in 1902 and belonged to Colonel Gheorghe Dinopol.
- The Church of St. Dumitru in Covei was sanctified in 1858 by Saint Hierarch Calinic, at that time Archbishop of Râmnic and Noului Severin. Between 1936 and 1941 it was restored, changing its original form. In 1962 the painting was restored, the re-sanctification service was performed on 11th of November 1962.
- Ioan Ionescu-Dolj was born on 14th of September1875 in Boureni village, Afumaţi township, Dolj county and was a lawyer, president of the Public Law Section of the Legislative Council, first president of the Legislative Council, corresponding member of the Romanian Academy.
- The Day of the township of Afumaţi is organized in September of each year.