Valea Stanciului Township is located in the southern part of Dolj County, in the Oltenia Plain, on the right bank of Jiu, 50 km away from the city of Craiova. The locality currently has an area of 11048 ha and a population of about 6200 inhabitants and is composed of the village of Valea Stanciului as the residence and village of Horezu Poenari.
Scurt istoric al localității:
The settlement has been documented since the 16th century and in the general plan of urbanism had five villages, Valea Stanciului, Ţugurești, Bârza, Horezu Poenari and Grecești. The township was established by the Administrative Law of 31st of March 1864, disbanded in 1912, re-established in 1921, again disbanded in 1950 to be re-established in 1968. The township took its name from Paharnicul Stanciu, son of Stroe, who, around 1700, had estates on the left bank of Jiu. Later, the village moved from the left to the right side of Jiu.
The village of Bârza is mentioned for the first time, as it is said in the “Historical Dictionary of the localities of Dolj County”, the letters N - V, by Caesar Avram, Paul-Emanoil Barbu and Vladimir Osiac, in a document issued before 4th of May 1581, when among the churls who were to swear “for some villages” designated by the “ispravnicul Dragomir portar” also appears Vlaicu from Bârza. In the cartography of Dolj County in 1828, the village, located on the estate of the lord Ioan Săndulescu, consisted of 35 families of peasants and 55 other families with “other men ordinances” (seven priests, 12 deacons, two dismissed lords, three servants, 12 scutelnici, 19 lay brothers).
The village of Horezu Poienari is remembered in the charter from November 1613 of Radu Mihnea Voivode. It mentions “the borders between Bârca and Hurez, around “grindul de piatra, the Magura Cioarei, the Magura Schatasei and Magura Botocai””. On 20th of April 1618 is mentioned the “Calea Hurizilor” between the borders of the village of Marmurile, now extinct, in the radius of the village of Nedeea, Gighera township. In 1845, the village was ruled by the baker Ioan Târnoveanu and Amza Mihăilescu.
The village Grecești was located in 1828 on the estate of the medelnicer Ienache Grecescu, with 88 families of peasants and ten families with other occupations, two priests, a deacon, a dismissed lord, two servants, a scutelnic, three lay brothers and a candlestick maker. The cartography of 1831 mentions that the estate was owned by Nicolae Hagi Enuș, and in 1845 the village was located on the property of Dimitrie and Hristodor Carianopol.
The Town Hall of the Valea Stanciului is located on DJ 561B, Str. Arh. Cezar Lăzărescu, No. 39, Dolj County. Strada Arh. Cezar Lăzărescu, nr. 39,Județ Dolj.
Phone number – 0251 352 025
E-MAIL – [email protected]
Points of interest:
- The Church „Saint Dumitru” dating back to the 17th century was restored in 1869 and is located in the former village of Ţugurești.
- The Old School: In 1883 the actual school was founded, considered at the time as an act of charity for the peasants on the estates of the boyar Constantin N. Mihail. The school initially functioned under the name “Primary School of boys and girls Nicolache Mihail”, the building having a special architecture, in the form of a Greek temple in the Doric style, it still appears today in the catalogue of historical monuments in Oltenia.
- The Orthodox Church of Horezu Poenari was built around 1820 and is located on Str. Unirii in the former Grecești village.
- Grecești mansion together with Horezu-Poenari estate were owned by Virgil Târnoveanu and during the uprising of 1906, he was killed by peasants.
- The Church of St. Voivode was built in 1792 and is a historical monument located on Str. Economist Hondor Gheorghe in the township of Valea Stanciului.
– Alexandru I. Amzulescu was born on 4th of December 1921in Valea Stanciului, Dolj County and was a Romanian ethnologist and folklorist.
– Ovidiu Ghidirmic s-a născut pe data de 27 august 1942 în Grecești, comuna Valea Stanciului, județul Dolj și a fost un critic literar și publicist contemporan.
- Weekly fair every Sunday fiecare duminica